Wednesday 30 April 2014

Book Review - Diego's Dragon, Book One: Spirits of the Sun

I was recently given the opportunity to read the first book in the YA fantasy series Diego's Dragon, Spirits of the Sun, by author Kevin Gerard and Crying Cougar Press.



Image credit: www.diegosdragon.com


Spirits of the Sun introduces us to hero Diego Ramirez, an 11 year old boy who has won a mysterious dragon statue in a writing competition. He soon discovers that his statue is no ordinary statue but contains an ancient fierce dragon named Magnifico, with whom Diego shares a deep connection. We follow Diego on his journey to discover his true self, become a hero, and (kind of) get the girl.

I really enjoyed Spirits of the Sun. I am a fan of fantasy and historical fiction and this is right up my alley. It's a book that can be enjoyed by all age groups. The lead character is school-aged, but his turbulent family life and internal struggles are things that older readers can identify with. This is a book that I would feel comfortable reading by myself and with my children. What is also great about Spirits of the Sun is that it takes place in the Latino community, so you also learn some of the language and the culture of the community while reading. The only thing negative thing I can say about the book is that I wish we saw more of Diego's internal struggle. I don't feel we heard enough of his feelings about the changes in his life. Other that that, I am excited to continue reading the series to find out more of Diego and Magnifico's adventures! Book Two: Dragons of the Dark Rift, and Book Three: Battle at Tenochtitlan are available now at Amazon.

Visit www.diegosdragon.com to learn more about the Diego's Dragon series and where to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment